House of Sin

Friday, June 16, 2006

Hide and Seek

At 3:45 am, my cell phone dinged. Expecting a late-night text from The Ex-, I was surprised to see a drunken reply for help from StudentGirl.

StudentGirl is a former student of mine , who has become a friend. No, not THAT kind of friend; The Bastard doesn't roll that way. Anyways, she's graduated college, and we chat a couple times a year. I know she'd been having problems with her on-again, off-again boyfriend of the last couple years, but I thought they'd worked through some of the hard relationship stuff.

I was wrong.

On the phone, she explained that she was sitting outside her bf's place, slightly drunk, and unsure as to whether to make the fifteen minute drive home. Not being a fan of the DUI, I advised her to go back inside. That's when she informed me that she and her boy had gotten into a wee scuffle.

She has relationship issues. She's afraid of getting hurt, too.

So I spent about thirty minutes getting her to realize that pushing people away isn't the right thing to do, and that you have to fight your own instincts when it comes to these things, and on, and on...

Oh, the IRONY. Here I was, half-conscious, counseling someone ELSE about their committment issues. While I struggle with the same thing every day about the Ex-.

The good news is that at the end of the phone call, I asked her what she was going to do.

She said she was going to call the boy, and see if she could go back inside.

Good girl.

Now, if it was only so easy for the rest of us.

-- The Bastard

Posted by The Bastard :: 12:59 PM :: 3 comments

Post a Comment

-------------------------------------